This delicious vegan pound cake was originally published in my cookbook, Sweet Potato Soul. Order your copy here!
What’s a recipe that takes you back to your childhood? For me, it’s my Nana’s pound cake. My yearly birthday treat, it was my favorite that she would bake year after year. This vegan pound cake is just as tasty as I remember Nana’s being, and is the perfect celebration or everyday cake. The perfectly moist texture comes from vegan cream cheese!
A traditional pound cake recipe is named for the amount of ingredients it uses; one pound of butter, one pound of sugar, one pound of eggs, and one pound of flour. While there are vegan butter and egg substitutes, the replacements don’t quite work out the same.
Non-dairy milk for moisture (I used soy milk).
Apple cider or white vinegar and baking soda for a vegan egg substitute. Plus, the milk and vinegar act as a vegan buttermilk substitute.
All-purpose flour for structure.
Baking Powder to give your cake an airy rise.
Vegan butter for texture, flavor, and rise.
Vegan cream cheese for moisture.
Cane sugar for sweetness.
Vanilla extract for flavor.
Salt to enhance flavor.
How to Make Vegan Pound Cake
This vegan pound cake recipe couldn’t be any easier to make. In just over an hour you’ll have a perfectly moist cake for dessert. The only equipment you’ll need for this is a stand or hand mixer.
1. Combine non-dairy milk and vinegar in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Sift the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
3. Beat the vegan butter and vegan cream cheese together until creamy. Add in the sugar and beat until fluffy.
4. Add the milk and vinegar mix and beat on low. Slowly add in the dry ingredients.
5. Add the batter to a greased and floured loaf pan and bake in the oven at 350ºF for 50-55 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center and make sure it comes out clean to ensure a fully-baked cake.
6. Let cool to room temperature on a cooling rack before serving.
This cake will last in an airtight container for three days, and it’s freezer-friendly.
What to Eat with Vegan Pound Cake
This cake can be topped with almost anything!
- Add a delicious lemon glaze by combining lemon juice, vegan powdered sugar, and non-dairy milk.
- Top with strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
This cake is a perfect dessert, but is also great for the brunch table! The taste is just delectable paired with fresh fruit in my opinion.
Nana’s Cream Cheese Vegan Poundcake
Delicious vegan poundcake made with vegan cream cheese for the perfect moist texture.
- 1 cup plain unsweetened soy milk or other non dairy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese Tofutti brand is my favorite
- 1/4 cup vegan butter at room temperature
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a loaf pan or line with parchment paper and set aside.
In a small bowl, stir together the soy milk and vinegar and set aside to curdle for 5 minutes.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat together the vegan cream cheese and butter on medium-high speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Alternatively you can use a hand mixer.
Add the sugar and continue to beat for 3 minutes until it is fluffy. Add the vanilla and soy milk–vinegar mixture and beat on low until the ingredients are incorporated. Slowly add the dry ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix.
Scrape the batter evenly into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Remove the cake from the oven and let cool for 20 minutes. Remove the loaf to a cooling rack and cool completely before serving.
Store leftover cake in a cake dish or airtight container for up to 3 days.
Have you tried Nana’s sweet potato pie yet? It’s my favorite food ever!!